A norovirus may have caused more than 300 people to get sick after eating in an Indianapolis, Indiana, Olive
Garden restaurant. Norovirus, which causes symptoms of nausea, vomiting and diarrhea, was found in 3 employees and a patron who were tested after becoming ill.
The health department was still working to pinpoint the source of the illnesses, said John Althardt, a spokesman for the Marion County Health Department. Norovirus spreads through contaminated food or liquids, contaminated surfaces or contact with someone who is infected.
The numerous recent outbreaks of illnesses including e-coli highlight some serious problems associated with food handling and preparation at our restaurants. Managers need to heighten the standards of cleanliness and hygiene of their restaurants and employees to prevent contamination.