As a result of three children suffering serious injuries after swallowing small magnetic pieces from Polly Pocket Doll sets, Mattel has recalled 2.4 million doll play sets. The injuries occurred in children who ranged in age from 2 to 8. The injuries sustained were intestinal perforations which is a tearing of the stomach or intestinal lining. The specific toys which were recalled were sold between May 2003 and September 2006.
Mattel received 170 complaints of magnets coming out of dolls, plastic clothing, hair pieces and other accessories of the playsets. The magnets are 1/8th inch in diameter and can fall out of the toys, posing risks to children. The recall was instituted with the cooperation of the U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission.