11172017Headline:

Cleveland, Ohio

HomeOhioCleveland

Email Amber Scott Amber Scott on LinkedIn Amber Scott on Twitter Amber Scott on Facebook
Amber Scott
Amber Scott
Contributor •

Driver’s Ed 101: Don’t speed, don’t run red lights, and don’t become a statistic

10 comments

A few hours before rush hour this morning, a 24-year-old man was speeding down Broadway Avenue in Cleveland, Ohio, when he ran a red light and crashed his Dodge Charger into a truck carrying steel. He later died at MetroHealth Medical Center, where his passenger, 31-year old Marquis Andrews, was treated for unknown injuries. According to several Cleveland online news publications, neither was wearing his seatbelt. The truck driver involved in the accident thankfully walked away unscathed.

Ohio fines for not wearing your seatbelt are pretty cheap — $30 for drivers; $20 for passengers – but your life is valuable. And, as you should well know by now, wearing one lowers your chances of sustaining fatal and moderate injuries in car accidents. According to Ohio.gov’s Department of Public Safety website, Ohio police issued 34,914 seatbelt tickets between January 1, 2012, and May 22, 2012, compared to 29,687 during the same time span last year.

According to CityofDayton.org’s Red Light and Speed Enforcement Cameras page, “National statistics indicate that excessive speed is a contributing factor in one-third of all fatal accidents.” According to the Ohio Department of Public Safety, speed contributed to 31 percent of 334,089 crashes that occurred in Ohio in 2007. Over 1,200 people died.

A decade ago, Old Dominion assistant professor of psychology Bryan Porter conducted a national survey in which 56 percent of respondents reported running a red light. Younger drivers – like Kelley – non-parents, people with low-technology or blue-collar jobs, and the unemployed constituted the majority. Interestingly, unbuckled drivers – like Kelley – were far more likely not to stop for a red light. Coincidentally, DaimlerChrysler Corp. underwrote Porter’s study and built the car Kelley was driving. According to Porter’s survey, drivers are more apt to run red lights on a weekday morning while driving to work or to school.

“Stopping at a red light loses you a minute, maybe two,” Porter wrote. “And that’s the worst-case scenario. You run a red light, you cause a crash. You hurt someone or yourself. The police come. You go to court. You have to fix your car. All to save two minutes. That’s it: two minutes.”

10 Comments

1. Stating Facts says:
    up arrow

First you spelled his last name wrong, you might want to do a little more research before you add your two cents. How would you know if this man was employed or not? And he is a parent of three beautiful children. So before you go around making assumptions, dig a little deeper before someone takes your little blog the wrong way and you suddenly go missing. Food for thought sweetie.

2. cleveland reader says:
    up arrow

First, if you Google “cleveland charger broadway,” every story written about the accident states the driver’s name was Kelley. I notice you didn’t bother to tell the writer how it SHOULD be spelled.
    Second, talk about “making assumptions”! The writer said, “Younger drivers — like Kelley” and “unbuckled drivers — like Kelley,” NOT “the unemployed — like Kelley.”
    A little “food for thought” for you:
    “If you’re looking for occasions to be offended, you’ll find them at every turn.” -Wayne Dyer

3. Stating the obvious says:
    up arrow

The woman who commented is obviously more concerned about his kids than the guy who ran the light.

4. up arrow

@StatingFacts,

You are out of line making comments like, “So before you go around making assumptions, dig a little deeper before someone takes your little blog the wrong way and you suddenly go missing. Food for thought sweetie.”

Besides being a threat of violence–which even online is illegal–you’re attacking the messenger. The author clearly cited her sources and if those sources were wrong, you should take it up with them.

5. Amber Scott says:
    up arrow

@Stating Facts,
    Thank you for reading and commenting.
    It seems you know Mr. Kelley, so I’m sorry for your loss. If you’d like to provide the correct spelling of his last name and a confirming source, I’d be happy to change it in my post. Also, I did not say Mr. Kelley was unemployed.
    Again, I am sorry for your loss.

6. Stating Facts says:
    up arrow

So let me get a few people together, his name is Kelly. Second that’s my fiancee. Third, I never once stated anything about being violent towards no one, so your two cents weren’t needed. And to the man/woman who stated that I was more concerned about the children than the victim himself, chick what your mouth because you don’t know me. Clearly none of you people know me or him. With that being said, there’s no room for none of your comments.

Admin: Text removed due to personal attacks/incivility. Please stay civil.

]
    Maybe I should show this to the rest of his family and friends so that all of you ASSumption makers can hear what they have to say. Have fun!

7. Anna Succio says:
    up arrow

I would never wish death on anyone, but I know everyone is famliar with the old say “God don’t like ugly.” To Mr. Kelly’s fiance, at a time like this when you should be grieving, you are verbally attacking Ms. Scott for no reason. She was simply trying to warn others about the dangers of speeding not belittle Richard! She did not say anything about his state of employment

Admin: Text removed due to personal attacks/incivility. Please stay civil.

]

8. Stating Facts says:
    up arrow

Anna Anna Anna, outsider do you know Richard? Have you met him? Have you sat down and had a conversation with him I don’t believe you so, why are you commenting? Speaking ill of the dead are we? And god doesnt like ugly right?

Admin: Text removed due to personal attacks/incivility. Please stay civil.

] I said what I had to say to the WRITER. It wasn’t an attack, especially coming from me.that wasn’t an attack. Dont worry about my CJILD, she’s great. She is intelligent just like her parents.

Admin: Text removed due to personal attacks/incivility. Please stay civil.

]
    Furthermore you don’t know me to judge me. Let me grieve and you worry about what he has planned for you.

9. Anna Succio says:
    up arrow

Admin: Text removed due to personal attacks/incivility. Please stay civil.

]

I am not attacking Richard or speaking ill of the dead just stating the facts, but you want to turn things into an all out war. Richard knew my and many other people’s thoughts about him while he was still alive and him passing does not change anything!

Admin: Text removed due to personal attacks/incivility. Please stay civil.

]

Since you have such a high opinion of Richard Kelly you should have told him not to be diving recklessly and mistreating people then maybe he would still be here.

Admin: Text removed due to personal attacks/incivility. Please stay civil.

]

10. Stating facts says:
    up arrow

He didn’t run the light. That light flashes at that time of morning, which means Richard had the right of way. The truck driver was in the wrong. He hit Richard and killed him. Thats what truckers were trained to do right? Kill someone if they were to hit someone because its cheaper to bury someone than to pay for ongoing medical bills. So I’m taking my findings back to YOUR sources, because someone’s is going to pay for this.